Browse by Category
Composta DIY Kit
- Aqua Aero Vitae
Source your own drum and assemble your composta using our kit.
The COMPOSTA comprises the following elements:
- A recycled plastic drum (with a clip-on or screw-on lid) fitted with a sliding door and two handles. The sliding door is fabricated from fibreglass or plastic. The handles are of polypropylene rope and PVC pipe. The recycled drum can be of various sizes and made from various types of plastic.
- A base frame with rollers and guides to support the drum and allow it to be easily manually rotated. The support frame is fabricated from corrosion resistant glass reinforced plastic (GRP) and is fitted with plastic wheels. All fasteners are stainless steel.
The COMPOSTA is designed to operate as follows:
- Organic waste is added to the drum through the sliding door.
- The drum is to be rotated once or twice each time new material is added. Ideally, the drum should be rotated 3 or 4 times per day( every 6 to 8 hours) to maintain optimum aeration for the compost forming microbes. The drum is rotated by hand, by means of the handles fitted to the drum.
- The finished compost is removed from the drum by lifting the drum off of its support and removing the clip-on or screw-on lid. The compost can then be emptied into a wheel barrow or directly onto the garden.
- Once empty, the lid is refitted onto the drum which is placed back on its frame. The drum should never be completely emptied of compost, as retaining some of the active microbes will speed up conversion of fresh organic waste into compost. One or two handfuls of compost left in the bottom of the drum is sufficient.
No reviews yet!
Be the first to leave a review
Thank you! Your review has been received and should reflect here shortly.